Master’s Degree in Finance
The school requires that students pass examinations in economic theory, in quantitative methods and in their fields of specialization. In addition they must demonstrate a capacity for research either through the preparation of a thesis or through participation in supervised research leading to the completion of at least one scholarly paper. These requirements can usually be met in three semesters of full-time study.
Department Course Requirements
- You are required to complete the following courses – any substitutions must be approved by Itay Goldstein:
1) FNCE 681 or ECON 701;
2) ECON 705 or STAT 520 – students must pass with a B- or better
3) ECON 706 or STAT 521 – students must pass with a B- or better
4) FNCE 911
5) FNCE 912
6) FNCE 921
7) FNCE 924
8) FNCE 928
- You are required to pass the PhD Preliminary Examination at the Master’s level.
- You are required to successfully complete a “substantial” paper that can substitute for a Master’s thesis. The second-year paper requirement for Finance fulfills this requirement.
- Once the above have been completed, you will need to apply for your Master’s Degree by going to the following link:
- The forms that must be completed can be found on the Wharton Doctoral Inside website: http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/doctoral-inside/forms.cfm.
· Plan Program of Study (certifies required coursework for the degree)
· Certification of Qualifying Exam Form
· Masters Research Paper Certification Form
- Please bring the forms to Andrea Rollins for review and she will give to Itay Goldstein, PhD Program Coordinator, for signature and then return them to you.
- Once received, your application for the degree will be reviewed for approval.